Our nephew, Trevor, visited us for a day last week. He and I made bread and butter pickles. The recipe I used is as follows:
Bread and Butter Pickles, Makes about 5 pint jars:
- 10 cups, peeled and sliced, pickling cucumbers (I used lemon and regular garden cucumbers)
- 4 medium onions, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup pickling or canning salt
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 T mustard seeds
- 1 t celery seeds
- 1 t ground tumeric
- In a glass or stainless steel bowl, combine cucumbers, onions, salt. Mix well, cover with cold water and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours. Place in a colander over a sink and rinse with cool running water and drain very well.
- Now prepare canner, jars and lids.
- In a large stainless steel pan, add vinegar, sugar mustard seeds, celery seeds and turmeric. Bring to a boil over medium to high heat to dissolve sugar. Stir in vegetables and return to a boil.
- Pour vegetables into hot jars within 1/2 inch of top of jar. Ladle hot pickling liquid into the jar to cover vegetables, leave 1/2 space. Remove air bubbles and adjust the headspace, if necessary, by adding additional hot pickling liquid. Wipe rim, center lid on jar. Screw band down until tight, then hand tighten the jar.
- Place jars in canner. Either steam jars using recommended methods or be sure to cover completely with water and bring to a boil and process for 10 min. Remove jars, cool and store.